Jen: This weekend we are pleased to welcome Tierney O'Malley to Book Talk. Tierney, will you please share a short bio with us?
Tierney: Hey there Jen. First of all, I would like to thank you for inviting me here. It is a pleasure. I’ve been getting questions about my name, Tierney O’Malley. Unlike other Irish authors, O’Malley is my husbands name. We’ve been married for 15 years and have two daughters. We live in Seattle, known to many as the Emerald City. I graduated from College of Aeronautics and, yeah, I love writing.

Jen: Tell us about your recent releases and where they are available.
Tierney: I am so proud and happy to share this bit of information about my latest book, Wicked Proposal. The book is as wicked as its title. Wicked due to its arousing, steamy content. Wicked because there is an underlying intention to the hero’s proposal. Lies, deceit, romance, sex. This book has it all. If you like happy endings, this book will surely give you that. Wicked Proposal is available from eXtasy Books, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and…hahaha. I’ll get back with you with where else this book is available.

I would also like to add this news. Wicked Night Before Christmas is now available from eXtasy Books. This is a short cute tale about friends turning into lovers, friendship, and the classic example of how a lack of communication can be detrimental to a relationship. Also this story is as hot as the cover. Here's the blurb:

He tried to make her his…

Lucas McLeod fell in love with his sister’s best friend who enjoys bantering with him. He is fighting the urge, the temptation to cross the fine line between friendship and lovers. But Lucas lost. When he succumbs to passion and makes love with her, he knows she is the one he wants to grow old with. Before he leaves for Florida, he gives her his promise. He will be back.

She tried to ignore him…

Cara Saint Regis is devastated when Lucas, her best friend’s brother and the man she believes will come back for her, arrives in the cabin with his high school sweetheart instead. Worse, she catches them French kissing. A few days before Christmas, Cara’s heartache turns into a blinding jealousy and anger—but deep inside her heart, her love and desire remains strong and true.

Will love, passion, and the spirit of holidays help them reunite in time to celebrate Christmas?

Being around Cara is a test. Her nearness inflames his desire. Their closeness reminds him of what he’s been missing—her touch, smile, and her kisses. He misses her. Lucas wonders if his burning need to be with her again can wait until Christmas eve to answer the wish she wrote on the paper and hung on the Christmas tree—a wicked night before Christmas.

Jen: At what age did you discover writing and when were you first published? Tell us your call story.
Tierney: I was a teenager when I began writing, but it wasn’t until a few years ago when I developed my interest in cultivating the flair for writing. While in college, my English professor encouraged me to polish my written works and submit them. I did. My essay appeared in my college’s paper and I sold another to an online publication. After that, I tried writing romance. In 2008, my first ebook, To Trust a Wicked Man, was sold to Cobblestone Press. Since then I sold nine more to different publishers. Four are already out.

Jen: Are there any other writers, published or not, in your family?
Tierney: No one that I can think of. So I guess, I can say that I am the pioneer? LOL

Jen: How does your family feel about your career?
Tierney: My family is very supportive. They understand writing is what I love to do the way I understand that they love to text their friends and they respect that.

Jen: Do you have a writing routine?
Tierney: Not really. As a mother of two, I write whenever I find the chance. Kind of like when my children were babies. I would nap whenever the chance presented itself.

Jen: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Easiest?
Tierney: For me, developing a character is the most challenging part of writing. Yes, the characters are fictional, but they have to have jobs in the story. How they function, what are their weaknesses, and what makes them memorable. Their personalities must be consistent throughout the story. Thinking about all the things that make us human and apply those things to a fictional character is not easy. Flawed. They all must have flaws. The easiest part of writing? Coming up with an idea is probably the easiest.

Jen: What’s the most rewarding aspect?
Tierney: Seeing the finished product is very rewarding for an author. At least when you are done, you have the chance of landing a contract, right?

Jen: Is there a genre that you’d like to write? Is there a genre you’ll probably stay away from and why?
Tierney: You know, I am addicted to reading historical romance, but I’d rather write contemporary romance. I feel safe when I write contemp. Although, I’ve been successful with my first paranormal novel. Yeah, I sold Wolf’s Soul: A Midnight Howl novel to Red Rose Publishing. It’s the first of the series so I’ll get to write more para.

Jen: What five authors or people, from the past or present, have been important to you as an author? What question or comment have you always wanted to say to them?
Tierney: With people, I’d say my husband. He’s my rock, my proofreader, a wonderful support. Authors…hmm, Monica Burns, Keta Diablo, Leila Brown. Authors who are quick in lending their support and very open in terms of giving their advice. I hope I didn’t miss someone. LOL. I am sure there are lots of good authors out there who had played an integral part in another author’s life.

Jen: What did you do to celebrate your first book?
Tierney: My first book came out in April of 2008. We left for Europe in June. So I consider our two months there as my celebration.

Jen: What do you do in your free time?
Tierney: Tennis. My husband and I both love to play tennis.

Jen: What's next for you?
Tierney: Working on my series of novels. Awesome editor for Red Rose Publishing, Ansley Blackstock, told me we are almost done with the edits for Wicked Knight: Tristan. So watch out for this one. It’s a part of a five book series.

Jen: Where can you be found on the web?
Tierney: I can be found through Wicked Thorn and Roses, blog that I share with Sierra Wolfe, Mark Alders, Gracen Miller, Wendy Ely, Alisha Page, and Kat Mancos. Ravenous Romance is a cool place I like to hang out. Hmmm...Romance in the backseat. Oh yeah, of course, I have a website where you could reach me. http://tierneyomalley.com

Jen: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Tierney: What makes a reader become an author’s fan? What turns you on and off when reading a book? Would you try the same author again if you didn’t like his or her first book?

Jen: Readers, Tierney is giving away an ecopy of Wicked Proposal and an ecopy of Wicked Night Before Christmas to two lucky winners. If the winners have already purchased either book, then he or she can pick a book on her backlist. To enter the contest, leave a comment or question for Tiermey. Then you must either leave your email address in your comment or send a message to contests.bookblog@gmail.com (after commenting) to complete your entry. The winner will be chosen on Thursday, December 18.

12 comments

  1. Faith Morgan // December 12, 2009 6:19 AM  

    Apologies if this comment comes up twice not sure what happened to the first one oops - However, here goes, Tierney, you seem to be full of energy you interview is packed with it and the teasers you posted are brilliant - you have one more new fan to add to your collection ;-)

  2. Cate Masters // December 12, 2009 7:30 AM  

    Congrats on your releases, Tierney! Both look like fantastic reads.
    cate.masters AT gmail.com

  3. s7anna // December 12, 2009 7:53 AM  

    What makes a reader become an author’s fan? What turns you on and off when reading a book? Would you try the same author again if you didn’t like his or her first book?

    I always follow an author's work when their work leaves an imprint on me...I'm not too fond of authors who'll leave a book with a hanger ending..it drives me up the wall...I'll follow some authors who do that simply because their work is that good but it's not really my fave scenario to deal with. As for trying out an author's work again if the first time was a dud...ABSOLUTELY YES! Books vary from one to the next...an author's strength & weaknesses develop book to book so I always go with the benefit of the doubt...

    Happy Holidays
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

  4. Anna L. Walls // December 12, 2009 12:27 PM  

    I was wondering if 'wicked' was a signature word for your books. If so, was it intentional or accidental?

    Anna

    AnnaLWalls@gmail.com

  5. Tierney O'Malley // December 12, 2009 1:24 PM  

    Faith,

    Yey! A new fan. So awesome.
    Thank you so much for your visit. LOL Physically, I am a little bundle of energy. Mentally, my brain is comparable to a windmill getting whipped by strong wind.
    Glad you like my teasers.

  6. Tierney O'Malley // December 12, 2009 1:26 PM  

    Cate,

    How are you? It's been ages since I last talk to you. Thank you for stopping by. Both books received great reviews.
    You got any books coming out soon?

  7. Tierney O'Malley // December 12, 2009 1:54 PM  

    Hi Anna,
    "As for trying out an author's work again if the first time was a dud...ABSOLUTELY YES! Books vary from one to the next...an author's strength & weaknesses develop book to book so I always go with the benefit of the doubt..."

    This is great to know! I've read comments from readers saying the opposite. I'm inclined to respect views and beliefs that differ from my own. But to hear a positive philosophy such as yours--warmed my heart. Thank you. :)

    Tierney

  8. flchen1 // December 12, 2009 3:13 PM  

    Hi, Tierney! Definitely enjoyed your interview today! As for what makes me an author's fan, if I enjoyed one book, it makes me inclined to try another. Generally I appreciate stories that move me, and characters that feel real. I love it when an author can make me laugh; that'll usually have me going back for more!

    What turns me off storywise is if the characters are either too perfect (can't stand those goodie goodies in real life; don't really enjoy reading about them either ;)) or if they do something that I find morally reprehensible. Also, if somehow I don't care about them or what happens to them, that's a dud. Editing-wise, I do really hate seeing a ton of typos or if there are obviously wrong things in the text; those aren't always an author's fault, but it makes it harder to enjoy the book.

    I would definitely be open to giving an author a second chance, especially if the plots were different. An author's voice can vary from book to book, and honestly, my mood can, too--what I disliked earlier might be my cuppa later :)

    Best wishes, Tierney!

    --Fedora
    f dot chen at comcast dot net

  9. Tierney O'Malley // December 12, 2009 3:49 PM  

    Hi Anna L. :),

    Your question made me smile. My daughter asked me the same question. "What's up with the wicked title?"
    When I wrote To Trust a Wicked Man, the word wicked was just that. A part of the title to imply my hero's (Cooper) character. But then I decided to write a story about Cooper's friend, Wolf. I thought he, too, was wicked a man with a wicked proposal. So Wicked Proposal came up. From there, I finally decided to use the word for my next books. Wicked Persuasion, and Wicked Flame (work in progress). The books are all stand alone. You can read one without having the need to read the others to understand the story.

    Accidental or intentional? I guess the answer is both. :)
    I love the idea of having a signature title. Never thought of that.
    Thanks for your comment. :)

    Tierney

  10. Tierney O'Malley // December 12, 2009 4:18 PM  

    Hi Fedora,

    Cool name. :)

    "What turns me off storywise is if the characters are either too perfect (can't stand those goodie goodies in real life; don't really enjoy reading about them either ;)) or if they do something that I find morally reprehensible."

    Oh my, I agree with you. Whenever I describe my characters, I always say that they are flawed--chatty, with low self-esteem, heavy, with allergies, lusty, jealous, etc. To create believable characters, they must have shortcomings like the rest of us.
    As a reader, I like characters I can relate to. And those are the characters with imperfections.
    You'll find that my characters are imperfect. Regular people like us. I enjoyed creating them.
    Your comment is encouraging. Thank you so much.

    Tierney

  11. BookTalkAdmin // December 18, 2009 5:46 AM  

    Congrats to Fedora and Cate, who are our contest winners. They have been contacted by email.

    Many thanks to those who left a comment for Tierney this week. She'll be back with us in May, so we hope you'll come back to learn about her next book. :)

    Jen

  12. Tierney O'Malley // December 18, 2009 3:50 PM  

    Hi Jen, Cate and Fedora,

    Happy Holiday!
    Christmas is almost here and because I am feeling festive, I decided to give Cate and Fedora a gift. Both will receive an ecopy of Wicked Proposal and Wicked Night Before Christmas!
    Thank you so much J and J for the promo op and to all who came to visit--thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your support/visit means a lot to me.
    Yes! I'll be here again in May. :) I look forward to seeing you again.

    Tierney