Jen: This week we welcome Suzannah Safi to Book Talk. Suzannah, will you please share a short bio with us?
Suzannah: Certainly, and thank you for having me here. I live in New York and for many years I worked with numbers, finance, and credit. But eventually my addiction to writing took over seven years ago. Now I am a full time romance author. I am also a promoter; I created Romance Alley on September 14, 2009 you can check it at www.romancealley.suzannahsafi.com a place for authors to benefit and readers to enjoy. My other passion, being a freelance designer; this year I created my own Book Trailer Company, you can visit my company’s website at www.design.suzannahsafi.com

I wanted to do something that I enjoy, have passion for, and I found that writing, promoting, and designing book trailers and covers are my real passion so I am doing that full time and proud of what I’ve accomplished.

Jen: Tell us about Worth Every Breath and where it's available.
Suzannah: My contemporary novel ‘Worth Every Breath’ is available now through The Wild Rose Press. This is the blurb:

When the lovely Annabelle from California takes on a job in York, London as a companion for an embittered, paralyzed Chris MacCloud who has lost his wife in an accident, she finds herself strangely drawn to his savage sensuality. But she must overcome not only his deep mistrust of love, which is inflamed by her uncanny resemblance to his late wife, but also withstand the wicked relatives who are scheming for his fortune.

Little does Annabelle know that at the end of this twisted trail of passion and deceit lies, in the words of a song she has written, "what I'm looking for….it's worth every breath."

Can Chris forget his past, can Annabelle win his trust and teach him to love again? And can she herself learn to forgive and forget?

You can visit my website to read more at www.suzannahsafi.com



Jen: At what age did you discover writing and when were you first published? Tell us your call story.

Suzannah: I wrote a story when I was in high school, and left it at that for a long time, but I started writing seriously seven years ago. End of 2007 I received my first contract with The Wild Rose Press for my novella ‘Worth Every Breath’, the joy of knowing that my baby is going to see the world is indescribable.

Jen: Describe your writing in three words.
Suzannah: Exotic, stimulating, diverse.

Jen: Do you have any “must haves” with you while you’re writing?
Suzannah: A cup of coffee next to me, and slow music in the background, of course not to forget my sweetheart—laptop.

Jen: Do you have a writing routine?
Suzannah: No, I don’t. But, if I’m not writing, I am critiquing, editing, promoting, or researching.

Jen: Do you become attached to your characters and have a hard time letting them go, or are you happy that their story is told and you can move on?
Suzannah: Oh my, I do have a problem letting my characters go. When I’m about to finish one story, although I’m always happy that I reached the end, still I miss them so much that I get sad as well. My only console is that with every new story, I meet other characters waiting for their story to be written. I must say though, I don’t let my characters disappear; I talk about them every chance I get. Sometimes they find me, one of the villains in Worth Every Breath, his name is Damien found me and begged for his story to be written. I hated Damien, and I think he needs to be punished. Finally, he got me to listen to him, and I’m writing his story, but you know what, I have one heroine that will teach him a lesson and tame this rogue.

Jen: Is there a genre that you’d like to write? Is there a genre you’ll probably stay away from and why?
Suzannah: All the romance stories I wrote so far published or in the process, are mixed with different elements or sub-genre. I will not limit my imagination, I won’t allow that.

Jen: Do you do anything special to celebrate a sale, new contract, or release?
Suzannah: Oh yeah! I look for new ideas for marketing lol.

Jen: Most people only dream of becoming a published writer. Now that you’ve accomplished that goal, is there anything else you dream of doing?
Suzannah: Yes, to keep producing more novels. You have no idea what’s dwelling in my head, sometimes I think I’ll have to haunt someone to write my to-be-written-stories after I die LOL.

Jen: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Suzannah: They are more than I could count; I am reading Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Jen: What's next for you?
Suzannah: I am working on a Paranormal/horror romance novel, and a paranormal romance series.

Jen: Where can you be found on the web?
Suzannah: My website is www.suzannahsafi.com where you can find all information about me and my books, my news. Also you can find me on facebook, I always welcome new friends.

Jen: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Suzannah: I would like to say that I thank you for being here, and don’t hesitate to ask me any question, and please contact me on my website; I always welcome your comments.

Thank you all for inviting me and for the interview.

Jen: Readers, Suzannah is giving one lucky commenter a .pdf copy of Worth Every Breath. To enter the drawing, leave a comment or question for Suzannah. Don't forget to either leave your email address in your comment or send a message to contests.bookblog@gmail.com The contest ends on Thursday, December 24.

18 comments

  1. heidi330 // December 21, 2009 7:51 AM  

    Hi Suzannah,
    What advice would you have for a new writer starting out today? I've been writing all my life but never went with it. Now I'm not working raising my son( second family) and I want to start again. I'm writing everyday what next?
    Also your book sounds wonderful I can't wait to read it. I love stories like this.
    thanks
    Happy Holidays!!!!

    Heidi
    heidijohnjeff@verizon.net

  2. s7anna // December 21, 2009 8:25 AM  

    Hey Suzannah,
    What were some of the difficulties you encountered in writing this story? Do you allow your characters to lead the story?

    Merry Christmas
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

  3. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 11:05 AM  

    Hi Heidi,
    I’m always happy to learn that a new author started writing, I’m proud of you, Heidi. It’s not an easy job. Writing needs lots of skills to be learned, research, and time away from family. But let me tell you something, it’s so rewarding in many ways. It’s enough to say that writing a story renews your soul and makes you alive. I live and experience every story. The joy you get from writing is indescribable. I do advise that you write and never stop or give up. I wish you the best luck to publish your babies (stories) soon. Thank you so much for your kind comment, and I hope you'll enjoy ‘Worth Every Breath’
    Happy Holidays!

  4. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 11:30 AM  

    Hey Merry,
    Oh, Merry, Merry! Yes, I did face difficulties with this story and every story LOL. The villain, Damien just took over and wanted his own story. He started explaining to me why he was so bitter, and why he did what he did. I learned from him that he was a tortured soul, but it wasn’t his time and I just had to talk to him to get out of my brain, and promised to write his story, which I am doing the editing on his story right now LOL. As for letting my characters lead the story, they have a mind of their own, but sometimes I have to leash and guide them to the direction, although, sometimes they lead me LOL. Like Chris, he just refused Annabelle completely. He didn’t have much hope in life and the only thing that might give the impression that he did was his daily exercise for his upper body, a way from him to say I can depend on myself, don’t need anyone’s help, but that was it. When I told him to face his fear, he had answered “facing your fears is easier said than done.”
    And I’d said “Wear that helmet and shield, pickup your sword and be that gladiator”
    I couldn’t convince him, but Annabelle did. She is a sweet woman, and strong.

  5. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 12:26 PM  

    Sorry, I meant Anna, not Merry. I Think Christmas shopping is on my mind. Happy Holidays Anna, and thank you.

  6. Erin O'Riordan // December 21, 2009 2:05 PM  

    Suzannah, I really enjoyed reading your excerpts. Keep up the good writing!

  7. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 2:17 PM  

    Thank you, Erin!

  8. Virginia C // December 21, 2009 7:42 PM  

    Hi, Suzannah! Happy Holidays! I visited your website, and I was quite intrigued by the excerpt and reviews of "Worth Every Breath".

    In your interview, you described your writing style as diverse. It also sounds as though your "reading style" encompasses many genres. What is your favorite genre to write? What's your favorite reading genre?

    gcwhiskas at aol dot com

  9. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 9:03 PM  

    Happy Holidays to you too, Virginia! And thank you for visiting my website, and for the kind words. To be specific I like to read paranormal and historical romance, and the funny thing is that I never wrote historical. BUT, because I like the feel of the era especially the time between 1770 and 1825 I have a touch or a taste of historical in my contemporary romance or paranormal romance. You can feel that in my story 'Worth Every Breath' but you can see it more in my novel 'This Time You Are Mine' which is a paranormal romance with a reincarnation theme. As you said, I like reading many genres, but what I write is a mix of many as well. I like to be on the edge of my seat when I’m reading, and when I write a story, my characters and the plot, they all take me on a journey riding a roller coaster so to speak LOL.

  10. Liza Quisisem // December 21, 2009 9:47 PM  

    Hi Suzannah,

    Do you ever think about writing paranormal romance (vampires, werewolves, ghosts)? Or is your writing more conventional?

    Keep up the good work!

    Liza
    lizelli@yahoo.com

  11. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 10:32 PM  

    Hi Liza!
    I have a vampire short story that’s in consideration with a publisher. Also, I'm writing a novella about vampires, and a paranormal/horror novel: dark side, black magic, witch, and a demonic creature. The paranormal series of three books or four that I’m working on for a year now will be a surprise for my readers, a good one I hope LOL

    Cheers!

  12. Eva S // December 21, 2009 11:08 PM  

    Loved the excerpt and I'd like to read more! This book is going on my wish list.

    eva.silkka at gmail.com

  13. Suzannah Safi // December 21, 2009 11:24 PM  

    Thank you, Eva!

  14. CallMeKayla // December 22, 2009 1:11 PM  

    sounds like a cool read!

    kaylajohnson3969@sbcglobal.net

  15. Suzannah Safi // December 22, 2009 3:09 PM  

    Thank you, Kayla!

  16. flchen1 // December 22, 2009 6:03 PM  

    Hi, Suzannah! Thanks for the interview and excerpt! It must be exciting realizing a dream as you have! Good for you, and keep on writing!

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

  17. Suzannah Safi // December 22, 2009 6:59 PM  

    Thank you so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it. And thank you for being here.

    Cheers!

  18. BookTalkAdmin // December 27, 2009 2:31 PM  

    Thanks to everyone who stopped by this week to support Suzannah. And if you're not our contest winner, I hope you'll go pick up a copy of her book. :)

    And speaking of contest winners, all the names were thrown in a hat and Eva is our winner. Please watch your email inbox for a message from admin.bookblog@gmail.com. And enjoy the book!