Jen: This week we are excited to have Donna Grant back for another visit at the blog. Donna, will you please share a short bio with us?
Donna: Donna Grant has been praised for her "totally addictive" and "unique and sensual" stories. She's the author of more than twenty novels spanning multiple genres of romance - Scottish Medieval, dark fantasy, time travel, paranormal, and erotic. Grant's newest series, Dark Sword, promises to be her most addictive yet. Don't miss this intoxicating series with Druids, primeval gods, and immortal Highlanders that are dark, dangerous, and delicious.

She lives in Texas with her husband, two children, a dog, and three cats where she's weathered five hurricanes in the last three years. To learn more about Donna and her books, please visit www.donnagrant.com and www.donnagrant.com/blog.

Jen: Tell us about Dangerous Highlander and where it's available.
Donna: Dangerous Highlander is the start of my Dark Sword series about primeval gods inside Medieval Highlanders, Druids, and magic. I have a little of everything in the series. You can find out more about the series, including a glossary, the Beginning, characters, and FAQs at www.donnagrant.com/darksword.

The book can be found anywhere books are sold as well as online.

Jen: Are there any other writers, published or not, in your family?
Donna: No, just me.

Jen: How does your family feel about your career?
Donna: They are very supportive. They’re all like my own special publicity department. I’m so blessed with that.

Jen: Do you have any “must haves” with you while you’re writing?
Donna: Oh, yes. I have two spiral notebooks that I keep with me to keep up with my daily page count, character descriptions, and series information. I can write without music, but I like to have it on.

Jen: Have you noticed your writer's voice has changed over the years due to your experience? If so, how?
Donna: The more an author writes, the more she changes. Its just the way of it, I think. We learn with every book we write, with every set of edits we go through, and with every discussion with our editors and agents. It’s a constantly changing process.

And yes, my voice has changed, I believe. I read my earlier works and cringe.

Jen: What kind of research did you do for this book?
Donna: Medieval is my preferred time period for my books, so I’ve done tons of research over the years. I don’t do as much as I used to because I’ve retained a lot of it, but I do go back and see if I can find any new kernels of information.

There always has been mixed information on Druids. Since Rome wrote the history the way they wanted, who knows how Druids really where? So, I made my Druids how I pictured them.

Jen: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Easiest?
Donna: The easiest for me is beginning a book, and in some ways ending it. The most challenging is ending it so that it prompts readers to want the next one in the series.

Jen: What’s the most rewarding aspect?
Donna: Putting that last period at the end and knowing that I’ve finished another book. That just never gets old.

Jen: How do you pick the character’s names?
Donna: This may sound really weird, but my characters pick them. Of course, there’s always the names I stay away from because they’re associated with people I know. Lol. But really, I’ll get my book of names out and read through them one by one until a name just pops out at me. That’s how I know which one to use.

Jen: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Donna: Most definitely. I’m immersed in their world while I’m writing their story. Even when I finish the book, they will stay with me letting me know if I missed a scene I should go and add or I didn’t quite get what they were trying to tell me.

Jen: What five authors or people, from the past or present, have been important to you as an author? What question or comment have you always wanted to say to them?
Donna: Every author I ever read has been important to me. They helped me develop into the writer that I am. Then there is my awesome agent who is just, well…awesome.

My comment to them would be “Thank you for the stories, thank you for the worlds you’ve taken me to. Without you, I wouldn’t be here today.”

Jen: If you could travel back in time for one year, what time and place would you choose? And if you could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?
Donna: Oh, easy. Medieval Scotland. It’d be difficult to give up hot water, electricity, toilets, toothbrushes, and the food I know, but I think it would be neat to see that time period for myself.

The three things I would take would be a toothbrush, my iPod, and a camera to take pictures.

Jen: What's next for you?
Donna: My next book out will be book two in the Dark Sword series, Forbidden Highlander (May 25, 2010).

I’ve been contracted for three more books, so I’m busying writing. Book four just got turned in and I’m working on book five now.

Jen: Where can you be found on the web?
Donna: My website: www.donnagrant.com
Blog: www.donnagrant.com/blog
Facebook: www.facebook.com/donnagrantauthor
Twitter: www.twitter.com/donna_grant
Danger: Women Writing: www.dangerwomenwriting.com

Jen: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Donna: Oh, yes! Tell me what romance series keeps you running to the bookstore as soon as the book comes out.

Jen: Donna is giving one lucky commenter their choice of a signed copy of Mutual Desire or The Pleasure of His Bed. To enter the drawing, you first need to leave a comment or question for Donna. Then to finish your entry, you must either leave your email address is your comment or send a message to contests.bookblog@gmail.com. The winner will be chosen on Sunday, January 3.

34 comments

  1. heidi330 // December 28, 2009 5:46 AM  

    Thank you donna for the great intrview. I really enjoyed it.
    I can't wait to get your books.
    Heidi
    Happy Holidays!!
    heidijohnjeff@verizon.net

  2. Donna // December 28, 2009 6:41 AM  

    Hi, Heidi -

    Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book. :)

  3. Coistycat // December 28, 2009 7:04 AM  

    Great interview & a fantastic giveaway all in one, now that is just perfect.

    I have not read any romantic series yet but i am definetly planning too, i especially fancy Donna's books as they are set right here in Scotland & they sound such an amazing read.

    Thanks for running this giveaway, i have my fingers crossed.

    Good Luck Everyone xx

    donnabarrie@blueyonder.co.uk

  4. Spav // December 28, 2009 7:57 AM  

    Nice interview. The romance book series that I always pre-order would probably be the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh. I love the world and the characters she has created.

    Do you have a favourite paranormal romance series?


    spav05@gmail.com

  5. Donna // December 28, 2009 8:02 AM  

    Hi, Coistycat - You live in Scotland? Oh, I'm so jealous!

    Hi, Spav - I've got the Psy/Changeling books in my TBR pile and I plan on getting to them soon. I've heard such good things about them.

    I have a lot of fav paranormal series. I love JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds, Kim Lenox's Shadow Guards, and Christina Dodd's paranormals. There are so many more, but that's just a few.

  6. Julie // December 28, 2009 8:11 AM  

    Right now, I'm really hooked on Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series; I'm even dragging out the latest one so that I'll have more time with it, lol.

    Another that I absolutely have to buy is Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series, not to mention Karen Marie Moning's Highlander (which I hope she returns to soon!).

  7. Cheryl McInnis // December 28, 2009 10:27 AM  

    Hi Donna!
    Congrats on your newest release, this sounds like it is going to be a very interesting series!

    I'm a huge fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, I buy the newest one right away. I don't always love it, but I still keep going back because I really enjoy the world and characters she has created.

    cheryl.mcinnis@yahoo.com

  8. Donna // December 28, 2009 12:13 PM  

    Hi, Julie - oh, I adore KMM's highlander series. Awesome books I've read dozens of times!

    Hi Cheryl - Once I'm into a series, I keep buying. :)

  9. Ali // December 28, 2009 2:10 PM  

    Hi Donna :)
    I love your books and love to pre-order so it's like Christmas when they come in, lol
    As for series that I love, I'm just in love with the Arcane Society series... I enjoy how she write is under Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick and I'm treated to different settings :)

  10. Donna // December 28, 2009 2:34 PM  

    Hey, Ali -

    Thanks so much! I haven't read the Arcane Society, but I do have the first book in my TBR pile. I hear the series is awesome!

  11. RachieG // December 28, 2009 4:14 PM  

    I love series! :) I don't know any super favorites, but if its one I like I run out. I really enjoy Robyn Carr's series....I love JR Ward, Johanna Lindsey's Mallory Series,Janet Evanovich's series...luv Sherrilyn Kenyon. :) Definitely eclectic..but I do rush to either the store OR the mailbox to get it.

    rachie2004 @ yahoo (d0t) com

  12. Lyoness2009 // December 28, 2009 4:21 PM  

    I am really enjoying the Lorelei James Western series right now. Something about cowboys is just right.

    Next week I'm sure I'll be on to something new, but this week I'm finishing up the 8th book

    lyoness2009 AT hot mail **dot** com

  13. susan // December 28, 2009 4:47 PM  

    Donna I am so looking forward to your new book. I think you have become one of my favorite authors since I started getting into these sites this past year. I am looking forward to many more visits and maybe even winning a book or so along the way..this is always a big help when I am on such a tight budget. Sometimes I wish I had done this before retiring but then I did not have the time like I do now. ha ha susan L.

  14. Sandra Sookoo // December 28, 2009 7:35 PM  

    Awesome interview! It's always interesting to see how authors come up with names and different things. I totally understand about the characters telling you about a missed scene. usually wakes me right off LOL

    Good luck in 2010

  15. Kayla // December 28, 2009 7:45 PM  

    Hi Donna!
    I have to know, where to you get your inspiration from when you write your stories? Something has to pop into your mind to push you to write about whatever it is you are currently working on at the moment, what is it that gives you that drive?

    kaylajohnson3969@sbcglobal.net

  16. Eva S // December 29, 2009 1:42 AM  

    Hi Donna,
    congrats on the release of your book, I've been waiting for it!!
    Thanks for the great interview, I love getting to know my favorite authors a little more.
    Don't enter me in the contest, I have both her wonderful books!

  17. juneross // December 29, 2009 3:48 AM  

    ciao Donna,
    I love the cover of your book :))
    and I love read historical romance. Unfortunally my english is not good enough to write more:(
    Saluti dall'Italia
    Juneross - www.junerossblog.com

    junerosstaff@gmail.com

  18. Donna // December 29, 2009 6:30 AM  

    Hi, RachieG - I hear you on the rushing out to pick up a fav author. I do it too!

    Hi, Lyoness2009 - I've always enjoyed westerns. :)

    Hi Susan - Ah, thank you, doll! I so appreciate your sweet words!

    Hi, Sandra - Thank you!!!

    Hi, Kayla - I get my inspiration from everywhere. Seriously. From a song, a movie title, a character off a TV show, or even someone I see on the street. Everywhere. :)

    Hi, Eva - Good to see you here. :) Glad you liked the interview.

    Hi, juneross - I'm impressed you can read/write another language. Its always been a dream of mine to learn another language.

  19. skyla11377 // December 29, 2009 9:07 AM  

    The Interview Was Really Great. The Excerpt Was Great I Love Historical Romances Especially When They Are In The Highlands. The Book Sounds So Awesome. I Can't Wait To Get My hands On It. Hey Donna What Are One Or Two Things We Wouldn’t Normally Know About You?

    skyla11377(At)AOL(Dot)Com

  20. Anna L. Walls // December 29, 2009 2:28 PM  

    Sounds positively fascinating. I would love to know your where you looked up your information on Druids. It sounds like you're on a wonderful roller-coaster ride of a lifetime.

    Anna

  21. Donna // December 29, 2009 6:05 PM  

    Hi, everyone! Sorry I've been gone all day signing books. :S

    Hi, skyla11377 - Glad you enjoyed teh interview. Hmm...two things you wouldn't know about me...
    1. I'm only 4'10"
    2. I get migraines when I'm around perfume or scented lotions

    :)

    Hi, Anna - I have several books on Druids that I've gotten over the years. I'm always picking up research books.

  22. Virginia // December 29, 2009 9:03 PM  

    Hi Donna, great interview! I love reading books about highlanders and hope to one day to get to go to Scotland! It always been a dream of mine! Your book sound fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

  23. chelleyreads // December 29, 2009 11:50 PM  

    hi donna and jen, great interview! i'm totally with you on medieval scotland donna--one of the places i'd want to time travel to (the other being regency england 'cause i read too my historicals). i'd also bring the same stuff you'd bring except instead of my ipod, i'd bring toilet paper to medieval scotland instead (lol i don't think they're invented yet then?).

    congrats on the release!

  24. chelleyreads // December 29, 2009 11:51 PM  

    sorry, i forgot my email: bookmakeupreview AT gmail DOT com

  25. Gwyn Lacy // December 30, 2009 6:37 PM  

    Dear Donna, I really enjoyed your interview. I can't imagine experiencing a hurricane three times. I get freaked here on tornado watches! My question: Did you always know what genre you wanted to write in? Have you written in a genre you didn't feel comfortable in? What do you do if someone questions the historical accuracy of something you wrote? I've researched and then found conflicting research--or someone says no that's not right. In fiction you don't leave site references? Okay sorry, I had more than one question. I can't wait to read your work. I have been going to school so text books was what I was reading, the last series I loved was by Bonnie Vanak. My goal is to read recreationally this year at least one book a month. You are definately on my TBR list!

  26. Gwyn Lacy // December 30, 2009 6:44 PM  

    I also forgot to leave my email gwynlacy@gmail.com. Happy New Year and Congratualtions on your new release Forbidden Highlander in 2007!

  27. Donna // December 31, 2009 10:31 AM  

    Hi, Virginia - Thanks! I hope you pick up Dangerous Highlander. :)

    Hi, Chelleyreads - lol. Yeah, toilet paper is a must!

    Hi, Gwyn - For many years all I read was historicals, so I think that's why I began writing historicals only. I've tried my hand at a couple of contemporaries (after all, a writer must continue to push herself) and though they came out ok, everytime I think up a new book, its always historical. I have to really push myself to write in another time period. :)

    As for accuracy - there will always be someone that says "You got this wrong", the thing that I like to point out is that its fiction. Its the writer's perogative to take liberaties with facts to help fit in with what he/she needs/wants in her world. Some readers can't get past that.

    And no, you don't leave references in fiction. Good luck with your reading goal. Sounds awesome.

  28. YvonneW // December 31, 2009 4:03 PM  

    I Love Historical Romances Especially When They Are In The Highlands as well. Great interview yvonnew@cogeco.ca

  29. CallMeKayla // January 02, 2010 11:29 AM  

    sweet interview! Donna, book sounds fantastic, I'm puttin gyou on my TBB list!

    kaylajohnson3969@sbcglobal.net

  30. Paige Ray // January 02, 2010 4:02 PM  

    Hi Donna!
    Great interview. I'm interested in reading your books. Hopefully, I can pick them up in the future.

    Paige Ray
    paigeray23@yahoo.com
    http://www.paigeray.blogspot.com

  31. kgborland23 // January 02, 2010 4:35 PM  

    Sounds like an intriguing read!

    Kyle Borland
    kgborland@live.com
    http://kgborland23.blogspot.com

  32. BookTalkAdmin // January 03, 2010 6:40 PM  

    Thanks to everyone who came by the blog to support Donna.

    It's time to announce our contest winner. Congrats to Gwyn. She's been contacted and has until next Sunday to claim the prize.

    Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year celebration and will continue to visit Book Talk in 2010.

  33. Gwyn Lacy // January 07, 2010 2:24 AM  

    Got Donna Grant's book Dangerous Highlander today. Think I'm hooked!

  34. Donna // January 07, 2010 7:54 AM  

    Oh, thank you, Gwyn! I hope you enjoy Lucan and Cara. :)

    hugs,
    D