Jen: Today we welcome Debbie Renner to Book Talk. Debbie, will you please share a short bio with us?
Debbie: Born in Wellington, New Zealand, moved to Queensland Australia in 2005. As a youngster I was interested in star gazing, gymnastics and later, singing in bands (nothing serious). Brief stint as a pro wrestler (don’t fool around with me huh!) reading books (yes!) and writing poems and lyrics, all way before considering a writing career. My weaknesses are card games, debates and playing pool. Ironically, one band I dabbled in during the early eighties practiced next door to Wellington Newspapers where Peter Jackson worked. His pal Terry Potter was guitarist and featured in Peter’s earlier works. In 1999 I lived in a flat overlooking one of the sets for LOTR where they did night shoots. My second husband, Sheldon was named after Sidney Sheldon. He is also related to the ‘Renner Springs’ bunch somewhere down the line. Have a gorgeous daughter, Rebecca who shares my love of food.

Jen: Tell us about Odyssey Bourne Force and where it's available.
Debbie: Odyssey Bourne Force (book one) is a speculative, sci fi, techno sorcery action, romance story.

In the year 2029, a father begins to narrate the story to his son of a forbidden tale, providing evidence, in the form of a journal that should not exist. The story begins in the year 2005.

Enter the heroine, beautiful recluse Kate Willard, recently turned forty, living life day to day, until struck down by unexplainable, diabolical visions that threaten her sanity. She begins a quest that kick starts a magnitude chain of events that not only threatens humanity, but life throughout galaxies beyond our own. She joins up with a top secret organization that guard an ancient stone door that allows one to step through to alien worlds light years away. Kate discovers she is part of a prophecy that began six thousand years earlier. An invasion of Earth took place but something had intervened, preventing this evil force from extinguishing human life. However, evil has returned in the 21st century, and wears many disguises. During her quest, the line between friend and foe slowly becomes blurred. Not only must she decide where her true loyalties lie, but face an identity crisis with a patchy memory. Not to mention unseen forces that have watched over human life since time was in nappies. Kate is faced with extraordinary decisions she does not want to make, not to mention getting into some sticky, personal situations. Her journey in Odyssey Bourne Force takes her to an unpredictable future where her destiny is only the beginning…

The book is available at most major online stores (Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc). Or direct through my publisher http://www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/OdysseyBourneForce-BookOne.html

Jen: At what age did you discover writing and when were you first published? Tell us your call story.
Debbie: As a writer, I’m a late bloomer. But I dabbled in poetry and lyrics during my younger years. It wasn’t until 1996 when I began a computer thriller (internet was warming up then) and I wrote 3 chapters, then threw it all away. I had not yet found my calling. This was (in hindsight) the lesson of not writing what the heart feels.

However, in November 2005, I happened to be watching a sci-fi show on TV and lightening struck in the form of incessant scribbling (no one can read my hand writing, especially me!) which resulted in a 2 page fantasy essay after half an hour. Writing a book did not enter my mind until a few days later. Then, bitten by the writing bug, I rabidly could not stop typing.

Jen: How do you approach your writing? Do you plot or go with the flow?
Debbie: In regards to Odyssey Bourne Force, I first began by writing an outline with no idea of detail or ending. I then wrote what came into my head, and my fingers had trouble keeping up. That was the fruits of inspiration I was sampling. The basic (and I mean basic) first story was finished in 3.5 months (and many paper cuts). I only envisioned one novel, that at present is fast becoming a trilogy, or beyond…

Jen: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Easiest?
Debbie: Trying to get a decent nights sleep so in the morning, what I have written, does make sense. Always asking questions, and questioning my work (arguing with myself constantly).

The Marketing World, I am no salesperson. Easiest-when all that stuff in my head ends up on paper and it finally all makes sense!

Jen: What’s the most rewarding aspect?
Debbie: Having someone tell me they love my work and ask me, or try to work out for themselves, what is going to happen next...

Jen: How do you pick the character’s names?
Debbie: Delving into my dark imagination (usually when I’m asleep, or listening to HM music!) However, I ‘borrowed’ one major character’s name from a cashier serving at a supermarket on the Gold Coast.

Jen: Is there a genre that you’d like to write? Is there a genre you’ll probably stay away from and why?
Debbie: I would only write what I know and feel is right at the time. I get hit with certain inspiration in the most inopportune times (sleeping, toilet, shower and other unmentionable moments). I surprise myself when I suddenly wrote 3 very short semi-horror stories one afternoon. Last year I was inspired to start a super natural thriller regarding a real estate agent selling hot property on a cursed island. I take my hat off to mystery crime writers-they keep the grey matter moving.

Jen: Who has inspired you as an author?
Debbie: The late Sidney Sheldon for his writing style and Stephen King-a complex man who writes from his soul. Dan Brown is a marvel. Isaac Asimov, Dean Koontz, Arthur C Clarke etc. I have not read much lately due to time constraints, except for losing myself in some old TinTin books. I am a visual person and I love reading and watching true stories. For example “From Hell” regarding Jack the Ripper. Controversial issues regarding science and sci fi, the Illuminati, moon landings, crystal skulls, black holes etc. Tongue in cheek stuff like Men in Black, I could go on and on….

Jen: Most people only dream of becoming a published writer. Now that you’ve accomplished that goal, is there anything else you dream of doing?
Debbie: Being recognized for my work and going on a physical book tour of the States, including Sci-Fi events etc. Having a movie deal?

Jen: What's next for you?
Debbie: Spending lots of unearned money on marketing (gulp!). Working on the Odyssey Bourne Force series and dreaming of seeing it on the big screen.

Jen: Where can you be found on the web?
Debbie: www.debbierenner.com or my blog: debbierenner.blogspot.com

Jen: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Debbie: I would treasure all feedback.

Jen: Readers, Debbie is giving away a .pdf copy of Odyssey Bourne Force to one lucky reader. To enter the drawing, leave a comment for Debbie or ask her a question. Then you must leave your email address in your comment or send a message to contests.bookblog@gmail.com. The winner will be chosen on Thursday, December 24.

2 comments

  1. flchen1 // December 22, 2009 6:00 PM  

    Ooh, wow, Debbie--your story sounds cool! I read a lot of sci-fi growing up, and I'm rediscovering how much I enjoy it now as a grown up :) Congrats on your book!

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

  2. BookTalkAdmin // December 27, 2009 2:11 PM  

    Fedora, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You're our contest winner. Watch your inbox for an email from us.

    Jen
    admin.bookblog@gmail.com