The History of Skin Deep

Skin Deep, the first of my romantic suspense novels, and the first to be published under my pseudonym, Jamie Cortland. It is about Evelyn Valentino, an attractive divorcee’, who becomes involved with the wrong man. Ignoring the warnings of her friends and relatives not to rush into this new relationship with the handsome stranger, she ignores them. Once caught in his carefully woven web, he drops his mask and his madness is revealed. Her only thought is to escape, but is it too late?

James, Evelyn’s paramour, is both a schizophrenic and bi-polar. When he is medicated and receiving therapy, he’s charming and is a productive member of society. When he isn’t on medication and not receiving therapy, he self-medicates with alcohol to keep the voices away. At that point, James becomes a danger to himself and everyone surrounding him.

In regard to research for this novel, my primary sources included NAMI.com and my daughter, Loretta A. Creaney who has a degree in psychology and has worked in the field. You must be wondering if I have experienced living with one who is mentally ill and off his/her medication. The answer is yes… a distant relative who is now deceased. For the past few years, I have been a contributor to the National Association for Mental Illness and am dedicated to support groups of addicts everywhere. Without them, many would never find their way to recovery.

Educated in the fine arts, I have worked in various fields to include high fashion modeling, real estate, and for a brief period in the import business which proved to be quite exciting. Today, I’m a full time writer and have just now completed another romantic suspense novel titled “Never Trust a Stranger.” My next romantic suspense novel will be set in south Florida.

When I’m not writing, l enjoy attending live music performances, browsing through art galleries, taking long beach or nature walks and visiting with friends and relatives. I am a founding member of the Florida Writer’s Association, a member of RWA, Sisters in Crime, and am an affiliate member of Mystery Writers of America.

If you would like to read more about my books, please go to my website at http://weslynn.com and to my blog: http://weslynn.com/blog. If you are an aspiring writer, please note that Tips for Writers is available for you to read on my blog.

Weslynn McCallister
Jamie Cortland, pseudonym

Readers, Weslynn is giving away an autographed copy of Skin Deep to a random commenter. To enter, your first must leave a question or comment for Weslynn. Then to complete your entry, you need to either leave your email address in your comment or send a message to contests.bookblog@gmail.com. The winner will be chosen on Thursday, December 24.

13 comments

  1. s7anna // December 19, 2009 7:13 AM  

    What a fascinating subject to tackle. I'm very interested in the story.

    Happy Holidays
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

  2. Pamela Keener // December 19, 2009 9:00 AM  

    This story sounds awesome and very timely for me that is. I have friend who is dealing with a man who runs hot and cold at the drop if a hat.
    Happy Holidays
    pk4290@comcast.net
    Love & Hugs,
    Pam

  3. sharon54220 // December 19, 2009 10:27 AM  

    The book sounds very interesting. It had to be a hard subject to write about.

    Thanks for the chance

  4. Leiland Dale // December 19, 2009 12:27 PM  

    This is definitely going on my top 5 books to read. I love books with an intricate plot like this.

    Happy Holidays
    leilanddale@hotmail.com

    Hugs!!
    Leiland

  5. Anonymous // December 19, 2009 12:31 PM  

    I am glad you are tackling this issue as mental illnesses such as bi-polar disorder are still a mystery to the average person. I look forward to reading the book.

    Happy Holidays

    lizelli@yahoo.com

  6. Kayla // December 19, 2009 12:45 PM  

    Jamie- the book sounds very good! I would like to read it sometime and I'm sure my friend would enjoy it too! Happy Holidays everyone!

    kaylajohnson3969@sbcglobal.net

  7. Jamie Cortland // December 19, 2009 2:33 PM  

    Thank you so much for leaving your comments and for your interest in SKIN DEEP. Please feel free to ask questions as well. I will be stopping by again soon.

    Happy Holidays!

    Jamie

  8. robynl // December 20, 2009 4:20 PM  

    wow, once caught in a web it is extremely difficult to escape;
    I love the sound of this story.

    yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

  9. heidi330 // December 21, 2009 7:46 AM  

    I worked with people like this for over 10 yrs. Your book sounds great. I can't wait to read it and show it to some families who I know will love it. thank you for tackling such a great topic. People need to learn more on this.
    Thanks again,
    Happy Holidays!!!
    Heidi
    heidijohnjeff@verizon.net

  10. mariska // December 21, 2009 10:17 PM  

    I'm soo want to have this book! A unique story to read.
    Uniquas at ymail dot com

  11. Virginia // December 22, 2009 7:52 PM  

    I love a good romantic suspense and yours sounds awesome! I have never read your books before. What type of books do you read the most?

    lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

  12. BookTalkAdmin // December 27, 2009 2:19 PM  

    Sorry for the delay in pricking a contest winner. Time at the computer was limited with the Christmas holiday. :)

    Leiland Dale, you're our winner. Please watch your email inbox for a message from admin.bookblog@gmail.com. I need you to reply to the message with your mailing address before next Sunday, January 3 or a new winner will be chosen.

  13. Leiland Dale // January 16, 2010 9:09 PM  

    Thanks a million Jamie! I got your book and I'm so looking forward to reading it!

    I'm so excited!